The government is continuing the hunt for terrorists who may have escaped to Metro Manila as a result of the continuing operations to account all those behind the siege of Marawi City last year.
“We are still on the lookout, but we could not still disclose their identities,” said National Police chief Director General Ronald M. dela Rosa during a news briefing on Monday following the arrest of a subleader of the Maute Group over the weekend.
Nasser Lomondot, alias Muhamad Lomondot, was arrested by a composite team from the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO), the National Intelligence Coordinating Agency and the military in Dagupan, Tondo, Manila, last Saturday.
NCRPO chief director Oscar Albayalde said the Maute leader was with his reported wife, Rizasalam Lomondot, when he was collared by the team.
“Nasser was involved in the attack of a Civilian Active Auxiliary Detachment in Barangay Mantapoli, Marantao, Lanao del Sur sometime last year,” said Albayalde, who has earlier disclosed of a tightened security in Metro Manila as part of the police’s counterterrorism efforts.
“He also took part in the killings of innocent Christians, committed violence against women and children hostages, and was one of the key planners in the attack of Marantao, Lanao del Sur during the Marawi Siege,”Albayalde added.
The Maute leader yielded a hand grenade and a .45 caliber pistol. Dela Rosa said Lomondot went to Manila in January, apparently to escape from the government’s continuing operation to account those involved in the carnage of Marawi City, which was perpetrated by members of the Maute Group and Islamic State.
“He was here since January this year not to create havoc, but to seek refuge… to lie low,” the PNP chief, adding Lomondot used an assumed name just to evade authorities.