WHILE most of us were hunting for big discounts and vouchers to add to our Lazada and Shopee carts for the 12.12 Christmas sale, hackers were also labouring tirelessly—scamming BDO Unibank account holders.
Several BDO users lost thousands of pesos due to an online banking scam where unauthorized transfers were made to a Unionbank of the Philippines account with a bogus name “Mark Nagoyo.”
Depositors were surprised to receive email and text notifications from the bank notifying them of successful bank transfers with the hackers somehow able bypass the one-time PIN (OTP) security feature.
BDO, the country’s largest bank, immediately alerted its depositors to change their passwords and issued statements that it was taking additional security controls to block further attempts and protect bank credentials. It later issued a statement saying they were processing the reimbursement of close to 700 clients affected by the recent online fraudulent transactions.
The recent alarming developments show that even formidable, long-established companies like Domestic Systemically Important Banks (DSIBs) are not exempt from hacking and data breaches which can cost tremendous financial loss and reputational damage to these organizations.
Former Commissioner Raymund Liboro of the National Privacy Commission (NPC) pointed out that highly technological heists and systematic attacks exploit vulnerabilities both in human beings and the banking systems. “It is not a question of whether a breach is possible—but rather when it will happen, adding that since “cybercrimes are man-made, they can be prevented and mitigated.
The critical issues regarding cybersecurity and data protection were discussed at the recent webinar “Cybercrime: a Collective Defense.” Moderated by cyber security advocate and tech editor Art Samaniego, the webinar was held in partnership with Digital Pilipinas, a movement that seeks to address long-standing socioeconomic challenges through technological adoption; and Fintech Philippines Association, the leading independent industry association representing the interests and growth of the fintech community in the Philippines.
Digital Pilipinas Convenor Amor Maclang said creating strong cybersecurity that can protect the business community from hackers, who tend to band together in groups, is no longer an individual initiative. “One thing is absolutely clear: we will only be stronger if we work together. Sharing our security issues will allow us to learn and adapt much faster. When one of us is victimized by cybercrimes, all of us are victimized. Collective security is not a field for competition, but for collaboration.”
She then identified “new allies” of the financial system once its players start conducting counter-cybercriminal dialogues: “The White Hat Hackers [referring to cybersecurity professionals who employ the methods of online terrorists to find flaws in a company system and then fix them], advocates of Open Finance, the academe, and media.”
“Cybersecurity and cyber defense is a whole-of-nation, whole-of-society concern. Sharing security issues will allow us to learn and adapt faster. We will never be done when it comes to security as the world will change with increasing speed. We have to admit that we can’t do it alone.” Maclang concluded.
JBL GIFTS THAT FITS YOU
WHILE I have tried a lot of audio brands, JBL will always be one of my favorites as it was the first “branded” speaker I received for Christmas. I remember how impressed I was at the difference in sound quality, which made listening to all those Christmas songs even merrier.
This holiday season, share that special feeling with your loved ones by giving them the gift of great sounding music. JBL has something for everybody, from headphones, active earbuds to waterproof speakers. With their Gift That Fits You promo, you can get either a Link Music, Endurance Peak or Live 200BT free when you buy specific devices.
Here are some of our top picks from the list of participating JBL products.
• JBL PARTYBOX On-the-Go: Since it was launched last year, this had been on my wishlist because it was always out of stock. From beach parties to impromptu karaoke sessions, this speaker lets you see, hear and feel the beat with 100 watts of powerful JBL Pro Sound and synced with a dazzling light show. With a bottle opener, padded shoulder strap, rechargeable battery and IPX4 splash-proof protection, the JBL PartyBox On-The-Go has everything you need to get the party started—and take it with you. It offers continuous and convenient music playback with its six-hour battery life, Bluetooth and USB port music sources.
• JBL PARTYBOX 310: Another party speaker you might want to consider is the bigger sibling of the PartyBox On-the-Go. Instead of a strap for easy portability, the JBL PartyBox 310 has wheels and a handle for smooth transport. It has 240 watts of JBL Pro Sound power delivered through its two 2.5-inch tweeters and two 6.5-inch woofers.
• JBL XTREME 3: As the name suggests, this one is meant for the outdoors with a rugged design, IP67 waterproof and dust-proof protection. It has four drivers and two pumping JBL Bass Radiators that effortlessly deliver dynamic, immersive sound with deep bass and plenty of detail. And to make sure the party can last way into the night, it has an incredible 15 hours of battery life.
Get any of these speakers and you will receive a free Link Music speaker. If you’ve always wanted a smart speaker that sounds as good as it looks, then this is the one you want. The JBL Link Music pulses sound in every direction thanks to its transducer with 360-degree capabilities. Whether you put it in your kitchen or living room, JBL Link Music delivers crystal highs, sharp mids and deep powerful bass. Just say “Hey Google” to get started and play and control your favorite music, access Spotify, YouTube Music and Apple Music and listen without interruptions.
• JBL CHARGE 5: This is the speaker series that introduced me to the JBL sound and is perhaps the best portable bluetooth speaker for traveling and small outings. There is the super punchy bass that is balanced with the highs and mids delivering that impressively rich and clear audio. You get that big room sound even when outdoors, and with 20 hours of battery life, IP67 waterproof and dustproof certification there’s no reason not to bring it with you everywhere.
• JBL LIVE PRO+ TWS: One of the best looking pairs of TWS earbuds, the Live Pro+ TWS delivers an immersive TWS experience with smart ambient that connects you to your environment, or lets you focus on the music with Adaptive Noise Canceling (ANC). With the noise and wind isolation technology and beam forming mics, your voice is flawlessly conveyed to the other end giving you the feeling of a live conversation. All commands are on the earbuds, so you can manage music and calls with your finger only. Get help from your Google or Alexa through your voice or with a tap on the earbud. With up to 28 hours of playtime from Qi-compatible wireless charging and super-fast wireless recharging, they’re always ready to power your day .
•JBL LIVE FREE NC+ TWS: Whew! the name can be a mouthful but it does deliver sound that can make you speechless. The Live Free NC+ TWS is a great choice for people who want to experience JBL Signature sound quality, beautiful ANC, and up to 21 hours (seven hours for the earbuds + 14 hours in the case) of battery life. It also features wireless charging and IP67 rating sweatproof /waterproof so you don’t have to worry about a light drizzle during your runs.
To qualify for the promo, purchase selected JBL products from participating stores and dealers until December 31 and register them at www.harmanwarranty.com.