Most Luzonians follow mandatory home quarantine, but 93,000 violated curfew

More from author

Michael Braganza Peloton, lawyer and IT expert, appointed new poll commissioner

Another lawyer with a  background on information technology (IT) joined the ranks of the Commission on Elections...

Sunken ship owner eyeing own S&R for missing crew

The owner of Gulf Livestock 1, which sank earlier this month near Japan, now plans to mount its own search and rescue operation to find its ship’s missing crew.

NEVER AGAIN | Labor, other groups mark martial law anniversary with protest

LABOR and civil society groups will hold a protest on Monday morning to reject what critics see...

Majority of the people in Luzon have complied with the mandatory home quarantine during lockdown in Luzon by day, but some of them may have attempted to violate it by night.

Citing the “Community Mobile Report” of multinational technology firm, Google, Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles said there was a significant decline in the number of activities in “industries” in Luzon and an increase in activities in residential areas. 

“So meaning to say, if you look at that study, it means that everybody, almost everybody cooperated with the stay at home [policy],”  Nograles said during an online press briefing on Wednesday.   

On Tuesday, Google Philippines Public Policy and Government relations chief Eves Gonazales said in an interview in PTV that Filipinos in Luzon were mostly in transit stations, in their residences, groceries and restaurants during the first three weeks of the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) in Luzon. 

In a separate interview in PTV, Joint Task Force Corona Virus Shield deputy chief for operations Police Lieutenant General Guillermo Eleazar, however, noted that they were able to accost 93,000 people, who violated the curfew for the ECQ. 

He noted that 71 percent or about 66,000 of these people were only given warnings. 

About 4,000 of them were fined ,while 22,000 were arrested and filed the necessary charges for violating curfew ordinances. 

“So we will continue with our campaign [in implementing the curfew]. We are asking for the cooperation and assistance of our barangay officials in implementing this. We will not hesitate to arrest those who are violating this,” Eleazar said. 

The government imposed the mandatory home quarantine for the duration of the ECQ, which is now expected to be relaxed by 30 April 2020, to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus disease (Covid-19).

Image credits: AP/Aaron Favila



- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More updates

UP rivals Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard in global ranking on research citations

THE University of the Philippines, despite its meager resources, has outranked some of the world's top universities...
- Advertisement -

In UNGA address, Duterte pitches global effort on Covid vaccine, raises SCS, human-rights issues

President Duterte called for a coordinated international effort at the 75th United Nations General Assembly against global threats, including the Covid-19 pandemic, as well as "flash points" which could lead to a world war.

READ | President Duterte’s Statement at the UN General Assembly in New York

 (Note: For the first time since being elected in 2016, President Duterte participated in the UN General Assembly's annual meeting, held virtually from the UN's General Assembly Hall in New York. Here is the full text of the President's pre-recorded Statement delivered at the General Debate of the 75TH Session of the UNGA...

Sagada, other North Luzon destinations eye reopening to tourists

MORE destinations in Northern Luzon are considering reopening to tourism, following in the footsteps of Baguio City, which will be accepting tourists from the Ilocos region by October 1. Benguet and Ifugao are also looking forward to tourists, after meeting with the governors of both provinces on Monday,...

Rice importers charged P1.4 billion on undervaluation

OVER 40 rice importers have been told to pay a combined total of P1.4 billion “additional audited assessment” after the Bureau of Customs (BOC) found them liable for undervaluing their rice shipments from March to June last year. Sixty entities with the “most number of incidents of deviation and...
- Advertisement -

In case you missed it