Comelec breaks rules for Bong Go filing of candidacy

More from author

Michael Braganza Peloton, lawyer and IT expert, appointed new poll commissioner

Another lawyer with a  background on information technology (IT) joined the ranks of the Commission on Elections...

Sunken ship owner eyeing own S&R for missing crew

The owner of Gulf Livestock 1, which sank earlier this month near Japan, now plans to mount its own search and rescue operation to find its ship’s missing crew.

NEVER AGAIN | Labor, other groups mark martial law anniversary with protest

LABOR and civil society groups will hold a protest on Monday morning to reject what critics see...

The Commission on Election (Comelec) was forced to break its rules for the filing of Certificate of Candidacy on Monday after former Special Assistant to the President Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Tesoro Go formalized his bid for the 2019 senatorial race.

In a press conference, Comelec spokesperson James B. Jimenez admitted they had to extend “special treatment” to the entourage of Go, who exceeded their four-person limit rule.

The restriction was supposed to maintain the order during the COC filing.

Jimenez said they had to give consideration to Go since President Rodrigo R. Duterte joined him, when he filed his COC.

“The President was here. Obviously, the President would have to be accompanied by his security that is something that goes beyond what we normally would say and enforce,” Jimenez said.

“Again the safety of the President is paramount.  Allowances have to be made for that,” he added.

Go was accompanied by over two dozens of supporters and security, including Duterte.

Other cabinet official who joined Go was  Executive Secretary Salvador “Bingbong” Campo Medialdea; former Foreign Affairs secretary Alan Peter Cayetano;  Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Martin Andanar among others.

Go is the only candidate so far to be allowed to be given by Comelec the privilege.

Go is running under the senatorial slate of the Partido Demokratiko Pilipino–Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban).

If elected, Go said he plans to support the administration priorities through legislation including providing more health services and repealing the Juvenile Justice System.

Jimenez said they are now conducting an internal investigation how Go’s supporters was able to enter Palacio del Gobernado, were COC filing will be held up to Oct. 17, 2018.

He said they would hold accountable the people who will be proven negligent in their duties.

After being faced with said scenario, Jimenez said they would be more restrictive with the people accompanying candidates in remaining days for the COC filing.

Since the start of the COC filing last Thursday, Comelec was able to accommodate 63 senatorial aspirants,who filed their COCs.

Among the 26 people, who filed their COCs yesterday were incumbent Senators Cynthia Villar, Grace Poe, and Joseph Victor “JV” Ejercito, former Magdalo party list rep. Gary Alejano, Cong. Zajid “Dong” Mangudadatu, and Lito Lapid.

It also received Certificates of Nomination and Acceptance (CONA) from 70 party lists–40 were from yesterday.

Former PCOO Assistant Sec. Esther Margaux “Mocha” Justiniano Uson was a nominee of the AA-Kasosyo party, which filed its CONA yesterday.

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More updates

Voting 241 for and 7 against, House OKs bill creating DDR

The House of Representatives on Tuesday approved on third and final reading one of Congress’ priority measures:...
- Advertisement -

Lawmakers push additional P1-billion budget for national mental health program

With the increase in suicide-related calls amid the Covid-19 pandemic, lawmakers are pushing for a resolution calling for an additional P1-billion budget for the National Mental Health Program. In House Resolution 1225, Marikina Rep. Stella Luz Quimbo said her proposal is urging the Committee on Appropriations to allocate an...

LGUs told: Protect sanitation crew from Covid-19 infection

The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) has reminded local government units (LGUs) to protect environmental frontliners against the continuing threat of Covid-19 infection. The DENR recently held a webinar among environment officers of various LGUs where the issue of garbage collectors and estero rangers being exposed to...

Duterte allows HCWs with contracts as of Aug. 31 to work abroad but retains total deployment ban

AN additional 1,500 health-care workers (HCW) have been allowed to be deployed abroad. This developed as President Duterte approved the proposal of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) to extend the exemption period for the said workers from the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration’s (POEA) temporary deployment ban from...

Mindanao terror group ‘recruiter’ arrested in QC

Police intelligence operatives have arrested over the weekend a local “recruiter” for the Islamic State (IS) in what was seen as a major setback for the international terrorist group to beef up its ranks with “imports” from outside of Mindanao. Kevin B. Madrinan, who goes by the aliases Ibrahim...
- Advertisement -

In case you missed it