Gunmen shot and killed a radio broadcaster in Oriental Mindoro on Wednesday dawn, the second member of the media who was assassinated in seven months.
Cresenciano Aldovino Bunduquin, 50, resident of Barangay, Canubing 1, Calapan City, Oriental Mindoro, died after he was shot by two motorcycle riding men, the Philippine National Police (PNP) reported.
An initial report sent by the Police Regional Office 4-B to Camp Crame said the victim was attacked past 4 a.m. in Barangay Sta. Isabel, Calapan City.
Policemen are still investigating the motive of the attack and working to identify the assailants as hot pursuit operations are also being carried out.
Bunduquin was a program host at the DWXR 101.7 FM in Mindoro and his program was also aired on online radio MUX, which he reportedly owned.
PNP chief General Benjamin Acorda Jr. has ordered the regional police to create a special investigation task group to investigate the killing and possibly hasten its resolution.
“This will pave the way for a deeper probe to expedite the gathering of pieces of evidence and testimonies,” Acorda said in a statement, assuring that the case will be solved.
“We are maximizing our efforts to get more pieces of evidence and testimonies in order to shed light on this incident and facilitate the immediate arrest of the perpetrators,” he said.
The PNP chief said investigators are coordinating with the family and colleagues of the victim to get more information and in their effort to ascertain the motive of the attack.
“While his work as a media representative involves discussion of critical issues, we cannot fully conclude as of this time that the motive is work-related, but we are exploring all possible angles as of this time,” he said.
Presidential Task Force on Media Security head Undersecretary Paul Gutierez, in a statement issued on Wednesday afternoon, said one of the suspects had been arrested.
“While the driver of the motorcycle had already been neutralized, the [real] gunman remains at large and is now the subject of a police manhunt,” he said.
Gutierez said a P50,000 bounty has also been offered as a reward for any information that will lead to the arrest of the gunman.
Gutierez thanked Acorda and other police officials for creating a special investigation task force that would investigate the killing.
He also assured assistance to the family of Bunduquin.
In October last year, hard hitting radio commentator Percival “Percy Lapid” Mabasa was killed by suspects in a case that has been pointed to former Bureau Corrections chief Gerald Bantag as the alleged mastermind.
Senator Grace Poe, meanwhile, issued a brief statement following Bunduquin’s killing
“We strongly condemn this deplorable crime. Every media man’s murder is one less truth seeker who helps give information and voice to communities. We expect authorities to do their job in immediately bringing the perpetrators to justice,” she said.
Ending impunity for crimes against members of the media is a way to guarantee freedom of expression and access to information for our people.