Court closes restraining order case against Ricky Martin

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico—A Puerto Rico court “archived” a restraining order issued against superstar Ricky Martin, meaning the case was closed, a judicial spokeman said on Thursday. The case had brought intense media attention, and without giving details, the Puerto Rican singer had only denied any wrongdoing. On Thursday, hours after the court ruling, he said that he was a “victim of lies” from a relative.

“I’ve been working onstage in the public eye for almost four decades,” he said on a video released by his publicists. “And I’ve never, ever had to deal with anything as painful as what I’ve been through in the last two weeks.”

A judge issued a restraining order in early July against the Puerto Rican singer. The order was filed under Puerto Rico’s domestic violence law, but police didn’t provide further details, including who requested the order.

But on Thursday, “the petitioner ceased his claims voluntarily; therefore the case was archived and no further procedures are required,” the judicial spokesperson told The Associated Press, speaking on condition of anonymity as required by the tribunal rules.

The hearing to review the case was scheduled for Thursday, but it took place behind closed doors and the parties attended it virtually. Outside the tribunal, several media reporters and cameras awaited.

“Just as we anticipated, the temporary protection order was not extended by the court,” Ricky Martin’s legal team said in a statement.

When the restraining order was issued, the Puerto Rico newspaper El Vocero said the order stated that Martin and the other person dated for seven months. The report quoted the order as saying that they broke up two months earlier but that the petitioner said Martin did not accept the separation and had been seen loitering near the petitioner’s house at least three times. The AP didn’t obtained a copy of the order.

“This was never anything more than a troubled individual making false allegations with absolutely nothing to substantiate them,” Martin’s legal team said Thursday. “We are glad that our client saw justice done and can now move forward with his life and his career.” AP

Total
0
Shares

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Previous Article

Jordan Peele’s ‘Nope’ debuts at No. 1 with $44 million

Next Article

8th International Day of Yoga celebrated

Related Posts

Read more

Let’s nurture each child’s giftedness

AS the world opens up after this Covid-19 pandemic, we as parents are starting to revert back to our routines and pre-pandemic lifestyles. We somehow assume that as our children start going back to physical school, and we are able to now go out and join social activities, it should be the same for them. The reality is this pandemic has had the biggest impact on our children. Dr. Sean Deoni, associate professor of pediatrics and diagnostic imaging at Brown University, shared that in one of the studies they recently conducted of post-Covid children, they noticed that children were not paying as much attention or not getting as far with the activities as before.  The reason, he shared, is due to the lack of stimulation these past few years.

Read more

5 ways to be healthy—with your kids

WHENEVER we admonish our kids to “Eat your vegetables!,” “Get up from bed already!” and “Put that gadget down now!” for the nth time, how many of us catch ourselves thinking that we should be doing the same?

Total
0
Share