MINORS have been banned anew from going outdoors for two weeks effective today, Wednesday, March 17, 2021, in a bid to stem the surge of Covid-19 cases in the National Capital Region (NCR).
The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) announced on Tuesday that only individuals aged 18 to 65 old are allowed to go outside their residences.
MMDA Chairman Benjamin “Benhur” Abalos Jr. said that the Metro Manila Council, through the MMDA, is drafting a resolution prohibiting minors, particularly those aged 15 to 17, to go outdoors for a period of two weeks. This will be implemented in all the 17 local government units comprising the NCR.
The move, Abalos said, was agreed upon by Metro Manila mayors to contain the transmission of the virus in the metropolis.
“We are implementing age restrictions because of the increase in our Covid-19 cases. We encourage everyone to strictly observe and practice the minimum health protocols and be extra careful and follow stringent measures particularly when around vulnerable family members, as there have been reports of transmission among family members,” Abalos said.
He stressed that the metro mayors and MMDA are regularly monitoring Covid-19 numbers and will calibrate the moves and change directives accordingly, depending on the figures that they could gather.
Last month, Abalos said NCR mayors agreed to ease age restrictions as the government sought to encourage economic activities.
Health Secretary Francisco T. Duque III earlier said that about 3 percent to 5 percent of those who contracted the virus are minors or children.
They can also transmit the virus to the elders when they hug or kiss them.