Another P3.1 billion from the Bayanihan to Recover as One Act (Bayanihan 2) was allocated to the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) to help tourism industry workers who lost their jobs amid the Covid-19 pandemic.
In an interview with PTV on Friday, Labor Undersecretary Joji Aragon said this was on top of the P13-billion budget allotted for the implementation of their Covid-19 Adjustment Measures Program (CAMP), Abot Kamay ang Pagtulong (AKAP), Tulong Panghanapbuhay sa Ating Disadvantaged/Displaced Worker (TUPAD).
She said the additional fund will be used to provide subsidies, livelihood or training to some 616,000 pandemic-affected tourism workers.
DOLE is now coordinating with the Department of Tourism (DOT) for the implementation of the program.
Aragon explained the government provided specific assistance for the displaced workers in the tourism sector since it was among the industries adversely affected by the pandemic.
DOLE Financial and Management Service (FMS) Director Warren M. Miclat said the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) had already released an initial P13.1 billion of its P16-billion budget under the Bayanihan 2 last Wednesday.
“The fund was already received by DOLE. There is already a Special Allotment Release Order for this corresponding cash allocation, which was released by the Department of Budget this week,” Miclat said in an online news briefing on Friday.
The released funds, he added, were already downloaded to DOLE’s regional offices, which will implement the said programs starting next week.
Of the said released budget, P8 billion will be used for CAMP and TUPAD.
The P2 billion will be for AKAP and the remaining P3.1 billion will be for tourism workers are earlier mentioned. Miclat said they will be requesting to DBM for the release of the remaining P3 billion next week.
The overall funding for DOLE under Bayanihan 2 is expected to benefit over 2.6 million workers.