DOLE eyes 3-mos more of temporary displacement

THE Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) is looking to extend beyond six months the period of temporary displacement for employees in order to avert a possible mass permanent retrenchment.

Labor Secretary Silvestre H. Bello III said they initiated the study based on the appeal of the employers’ groups.

“Employers appealed if we can extend the period because they said their business is not yet good and they are still not in a position to rehire them,” Bello said during a Senate budget hearing last week.

Labor Undersecretary Benjo Benavidez explained the six-month temporary displacement scheme is based on existing jurisprudence.

Many of the companies had implemented temporary displacement schemes last March to cope with the large-scale community quarantine of the government to stop the spread of the novel coronavirus disease (Covid-19).

Bello said he is “inclined” to accept the request since Covid-affected companies may just opt to retrench their workers if they will not be allowed to extend the temporary displacement.

“I am interested in maintaining the employment status of our workers,” Bello said. However, he noted the extension may be just three months, which he said may be “more acceptable” to affected workers rather than another six months.

The labor chief said they might come out with the new policy on the matter this week.

As of September 14, 2020, DOLE registered over 2 million workers who were affected by the temporary closure of establishments since January.

Home News Top News DOLE eyes 3-mos more of temporary displacement

More from author

DOLE to check number of displaced workers able to regain employment

THE Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) plans to start by the third quarter of the year its profiling...

Duterte ‘reclassifies’ 3 holidays, workers won’t get special pay

EMPLOYEES will not get additional compensation if they will work for three "reclassified" holidays this year under a new proclamation issued...

Covid-19 task force not keen on ‘full’ immunity to vaccine makers; Drilon says ‘against the law’

THE National Task Force Against Covid-19 has expressed its reservations over granting blanket immunity to vaccine manufacturers, a stand...

Comelec drops mandatory use of face shield in Palawan poll

Participants in the upcoming plebiscite in Palawan next month will no longer be required to wear face shields in...

More Visayan Church, govt executives infected with Covid

MORE Church and government officials from the Visayas have been infected with the novel coronavirus disease (Covid-19). In a statement,...

P1.2B set aside for areas hit by Auring; rescue under way

THE government has allocated over P1.2 billion worth of relief and financial aid as its response in areas affected...

Thousands of jobless Pinoys in construction sector–DOLE

CONSTRUCTION is now the most hard-hit sector in terms of labor displacement, making up 25 percent of the over...

Top News

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More from this section

$500-M clothing deals shift to PHL as strife worsens in Myanmar

AS awkward as it may sound, the Philippines stands to “gain” from the political turmoil haunting its Asean neighbor Myanmar for weeks now, as clothing orders worth $500 million may be transferred here to the benefit of local manufacturers. Robert...

Random posts

DepEd: President makes final decision on education policies, postponement of face-to-face classes

The Department of Education (DepEd) in a statement on Wednesday said President Rodrigo R. Duterte makes the final decisions on education policies, including the postponement of face-to-face classes. "We understand that the availability and roll out of vaccines in the...

BM Cycling Livestream

Graphic | BM Webinar

BM Broader Look Podcast