India and China agree to disengage tens of thousands of border troops

More from author

Marcial flying to U.S. to start pro training

TOKYO Olympics-bound boxer Eumir Felix Marcial will fly to Los Angeles anytime this month to begin his...

Coach Pido’s advise to next UST coach: Love the school

PIDO JARENCIO—who coached University of Santo Tomas (UST) to its last University Athletic Association of the Philippines...

PHL now has 17 minor basilicas

Quezon City’s oldest Church was formally declared a minor basilica recently, making it the 17th Catholic place...

NEW DELHI—The Indian and Chinese foreign ministers agreed their troops should disengage from a tense border standoff, maintain proper distance and ease tensions in the cold-desert Ladakh region where the two sides had their deadliest clash in decades in June.

India’s S. Jaishankar and China’s Wang Yi met in the Russian capital on Thursday night and concurred that “the current situation in the border areas is not in the interest of either side,” according to the joint statement issued Friday.

Since last week, the Asian giants have accused each other of sending soldiers into the rival’s territory and firing warning shots for the first time in 45 years, threatening a full-scale military conflict.

They did not set any timeline for the disengagement of tens of thousands of troops in a standoff since May but agreed that “both sides shall abide by all the existing agreements and protocol on China-India boundary affairs, maintain peace and tranquility in the border areas and avoid any action that could escalate matters.”

Earlier this week, Jaishankar described the current situation along the Line of Actual Control as “very serious” and said the state of the border cannot be separated from the state of the relationship.

On Thursday, the two countries agreed that as the situation eases, they should expedite work to conclude “new confidence building measures to maintain and enhance peace and tranquility in the border areas.”

In a separate news statement, Wang said “China-India relations have once again come to a crossroads.”

Wang “outlined China’s stern position on the situation in the border areas, emphasizing that the imperative is to immediately stop provocations such as firing and other dangerous actions that violate the commitments made by the two sides,” the statement read.

“It is also important to move back all personnel and equipment that have trespassed. The frontier troops must quickly disengage so that the situation may de-escalate,” it quoted Wang as saying.

They met on the sidelines of a gathering of the foreign ministers of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization. The body comprises China, India, Pakistan, Russia, Kazakhstan, Krgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.

The disputed 3,500-kilometer border between the world’s two most populous countries stretches from the Ladakh region in the north to the Indian state of Sikkim. The latest standoff is over portions of a pristine landscape that boasts the world’s highest landing strip and a glacier that feeds one of the largest irrigation systems in the world.

Both sides accuse the other of provocative behavior including crossing into each other’s territory and both have vowed to protect their territorial integrity.

The two nations fought a border war in 1962 that spilled into Ladakh and ended in an uneasy truce. Since then, troops have guarded the undefined border area, occasionally brawling. They have agreed not to attack each other with firearms.

Rival soldiers brawled in May and June with clubs, stones and their fists with a clash on a high ridge June 15 leaving 20 Indian soldiers dead. China reported no casualties. AP

Image credits: Russian Foreign Ministry Press Service via AP



- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More updates

Trump, California leaders clash over climate’s role in wildfires

Donald J. Trump and California state officials sparred over whether climate change is contributing to out-of-control wildfires...
- Advertisement -

U.S.-China mutual investment slumps as ties sour–Report

Two-way investment between the US and China slumped to the lowest in almost nine years during the first half of 2020 as relations between the world’s biggest two economies deteriorated to their worst in decades. Combined direct and venture-capital investment between the countries totaled $10.9 billion in the period,...

This upstart Chinese brokerage is now bigger than Credit Suisse

East Money Information Co., founded by a 49-year-old former stock commentator, is one of the big winners in China’s wildest stock frenzy in half a decade. Shares in the online broker and market data provider have rocketed 78 percent this year, giving it a market value of more than...

Hemingway’s favorite Key West bar reopens from virus closure

KEY WEST, Florida—Sloppy Joe’s, the iconic Key West bar that Ernest Hemingway frequented during the 1930s, reopened Thursday after closing six months ago because of the coronavirus pandemic. By noon, the bar had already reached the 50 percent capacity allowed by law, including three Ernest Hemingway look-alikes. Concerns about...

China launches more military drills in Taiwan Strait amid US envoy visit

China launched a fresh round of military drills in the Taiwan Strait, as a top US diplomat demonstrated increasing American support for the democratically ruled island with a visit to Taipei. The Eastern Theater Command of the People’s Liberation Army will conduct “scenario-based exercises” in the Taiwan Strait starting...
- Advertisement -

In case you missed it