With ABS-CBN closure, MECQ, displaced hit 15,000

More from author

Sunken ship owner eyeing own S&R for missing crew

The owner of Gulf Livestock 1, which sank earlier this month near Japan, now plans to mount its own search and rescue operation to find its ship’s missing crew.

NEVER AGAIN | Labor, other groups mark martial law anniversary with protest

LABOR and civil society groups will hold a protest on Monday morning to reject what critics see...

Govt could still buy vaccines from Western suppliers even after Duterte’s swipe

The government could still buy Covid-19 vaccines from Western countries even after President Rodrigo Duterte lambasted some...

THE declaration of the modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) in some areas as well as the mass retrenchment at ABS-CBN Corp.—shut down by Congress’ refusal to renew its franchise—contributed to the spike in the number of jobless workers last week, which reached over 15,000.

This was the first time permanent displacement figures breached the 10,000 mark in the last four weeks. During the said period, the average number of unemployed workers was 7,386.

“We are looking at the MECQ as the possible reason,” Labor Assistant Secretary Dominique Tutay told BusinessMirror in a Viber message.

The National Capital Region (NCR), Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna, and Rizal were placed under MECQ last Tuesday, which led to the temporary banning of public transportation and limited business operations in the said areas.

The MECQ, which is expected to last up to August 18, 2020, aims to grant exhausted medical workers in the affected areas some reprieve amid rising infections, and enable the government to improve its response to the novel coronavirus disease (Covid-19). Tutay noted the latest displacement report also includes the over 4,500 employees, who were retrenched by ABS-CBN after Congress rejected renewal of its franchise. Besides the 4,500 regular employees, the Lopez-led network provides various forms of employment to 6,500 others.

New trend

In it latest report, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) reported the number of displaced workers displaced from August 2 to August 9, 2020, rose to 157,000 from 141,958 in the previous week.

Of these figures, 143,200 were retrenched by 6,163 companies, while the remaining 13,484 were left jobless with the permanent closure of 680 establishments.

As in previous weeks, the NCR still registered the highest number of displaced workers with 75,178. It was followed by Calabarzon with 32,421 and Central Luzon with 17,368.

In terms of industries, the top 3 industry groups with the most number of displacements are still the administrative and support services activities (36,578); other services activities (20,689), and the manufacturing (20,179).

To note, the industry with the biggest increase in displacement was the information and communication sector. The number of its unemployed workers soared to 12,895 from 6,808 in the previous displacement report of DOLE.

Image credits: AP/Aaron Favila



- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More updates

Cleanfuel announces price adjustments for diesel, gasoline

Cleanfuel will implement fuel price adjustment, effective Tuesday, September 22, 2020 at 4:01PM.
- Advertisement -

DOH alarmed over crowds of people converging in Manila Bay

The Department of Health (DOH) on Monday expressed alarm after hundreds of people flocked to see Manila Bay's "white sand" over the weekend.Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said that as soon as they received information and saw pictures on social media of people disregarding minimum health standard protocols, particularly the one-meter social...

‘Calamity’ extension raises spending alert

THE extension of a declaration of national calamity for one year bodes well for the economy, economists said, but they strongly advised the government to practice judicious spending. They said the extension of the national calamity status will enable both the national and local governments to immediately tap funds...

Duterte to raise WPS and human rights issues in address at UNGA

PRESIDENT Duterte will raise the issue of the country’s arbitration award in the West Philippine Sea (WPS) as well as the government’s war on illegal drugs during the virtual general assembly of the United Nations (UN) for its 75th anniversary on Tuesday. In an online briefing, Presidential Assistant on...

Deutsche sees BSP keeping policy rates till 2021

THE Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) is likely to keep key policy rates at the same level until next year, according to a study. The Deutsche Bank research noted in a report on Monday that the Central Bank is not seen changing its policy stance until the third quarter...
- Advertisement -

In case you missed it