Govt braces for more economic woes due to MECQ

More from author

Sunken ship owner eyeing own S&R for missing crew

The owner of Gulf Livestock 1, which sank earlier this month near Japan, now plans to mount its own search and rescue operation to find its ship’s missing crew.

NEVER AGAIN | Labor, other groups mark martial law anniversary with protest

LABOR and civil society groups will hold a protest on Monday morning to reject what critics see...

Govt could still buy vaccines from Western suppliers even after Duterte’s swipe

The government could still buy Covid-19 vaccines from Western countries even after President Rodrigo Duterte lambasted some...

Malacañang is now bracing for the possible extension of the country’s economic woes up to the third quarter following the two-week lockdown of Metro Manila and its nearby provinces this month.

“I will be lying if I will say there will be no negative [to the economy] during the week [lockdown] because 67 percent of out GDP is from Metro Manila and Region 4-A,” Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said during a online press briefing on Tuesday. 

Last Sunday, President Rodrigo R. Duterte announced National Capital Region (NCR), Laguna, Cavite, Rizal and Bulacan will be placed under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) from Aug. 4, 2020 to Aug. 18, 2020.  

The measure aims to allow health workers in the said areas to recuperate as well as give time the government expand its testing, tracing, isolation, and treatment activities in NCR, where Covid-19 cases to continue to soar. 

Medical workers were suggesting for the government to enforce a one month ECQ in NCR to effectively “flatten the curve” of Covid-19 cases in the region. 

Compromise measure 

Roque, however, explained the government has to resort to a two-week MECQ as a “compromise” since the country’s economy could no cope with the consequences of a longer lockdown. 

He pointed out the government is now struggling to find additional funding for the providing additional cash aid for workers who will be affected by the latest round of MECQ since Congress has yet to pass the Bayanihan II bill.

The legislation contains the P140-billion stimulus package, which will be used boost the country’s economy so it could recover from the business disruptions caused by the Covid-19 pandemic. 

Roque said they hoped the Congress will still increase the pending fund allocation for the Bayanihan II so that people affected by MECQ could get additional financial assistance.  

The government economic managers the country’s “v-shaped economic recovery” in the third quarter will depend on the prompt passage of the Bayanihan II bill. The legislation is still pending in Congress.  

Prolonged crisis 

Roque said they are anticipating the country’s GDP for the second quarter to be worse than that of the first, where it contracted by 0.2 percent, effectively putting the country in a economic recession.  

Government economic managers are expected to present the GDP data from April to June on Thursday. 

“But even if we have not seen it, we know it will decrease because we know the second quarter was the time when our economy was under lockdown,” Roque said. 

The government only started relaxing its enhanced community quarantine in Luzon and other areas of the country on June allowing more business operations to resume. 

Image credits: Roy Domingo



- Advertisement -

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More updates

Cleanfuel announces price adjustments for diesel, gasoline

Cleanfuel will implement fuel price adjustment, effective Tuesday, September 22, 2020 at 4:01PM.
- Advertisement -

DOH alarmed over crowds of people converging in Manila Bay

The Department of Health (DOH) on Monday expressed alarm after hundreds of people flocked to see Manila Bay's "white sand" over the weekend.Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said that as soon as they received information and saw pictures on social media of people disregarding minimum health standard protocols, particularly the one-meter social...

‘Calamity’ extension raises spending alert

THE extension of a declaration of national calamity for one year bodes well for the economy, economists said, but they strongly advised the government to practice judicious spending. They said the extension of the national calamity status will enable both the national and local governments to immediately tap funds...

Duterte to raise WPS and human rights issues in address at UNGA

PRESIDENT Duterte will raise the issue of the country’s arbitration award in the West Philippine Sea (WPS) as well as the government’s war on illegal drugs during the virtual general assembly of the United Nations (UN) for its 75th anniversary on Tuesday. In an online briefing, Presidential Assistant on...

Deutsche sees BSP keeping policy rates till 2021

THE Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) is likely to keep key policy rates at the same level until next year, according to a study. The Deutsche Bank research noted in a report on Monday that the Central Bank is not seen changing its policy stance until the third quarter...
- Advertisement -

In case you missed it