With income halved, Pagcor suffers H1 net loss

More from author

DBCC may downgrade GDP outlook further

FINANCE Secretary Carlos G. Dominguez III said the Cabinet-level Development Budget Coordination Committee (DBCC) may once again...

Agencies may use Bayanihan 2 funds beyond December 19

GOVERNMENT agencies can still use the P165-billion fund under the Bayanihan to Recover as One (Bayanihan 2)...

BTr makes full award of P30 billion in 5-year bonds

THE Bureau of the Treasury fully awarded P30 billion in reissued five-year Treasury Bonds (T-bonds) on Tuesday.

FOR the first time in at least six years, state-run Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (Pagcor) succumbed to a first-half net loss as it suffered an almost 50-percent drop in its income from gaming operations.

Based on its statement of comprehensive income, Pagcor swung to a net loss of P1.596 billion as of end-June this year from a net income of P3.079 billion in the same period last year. This was equivalent to a 151.84-percent plunge year-on-year.

It also missed its P2.835-billion target net income for the period by 156.31 percent or P4.43 billion.

This, as the gaming operations of Pagcor remain suspended except for Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators (POGOs), which were allowed by the government to partially resume in May in a bid to raise some revenues amid the pandemic.

The country’s gaming regulator posted a net loss for the six-month period as its P11.317-billion total expenses exceeded its total income net of gaming of taxes and contributions at P9.732 billion.

Pagcor’s total income net of gaming taxes and contributions as of end-June was also lower by 46.59 percent than its P18.22-billion target  and also down by 50.38 percent from P19.61 billion it posted for the first semester last year.

On the other hand, Pagcor’s total expenses were 26.43 percent short of its P15.38-billion target and 31.53 percent below the P16.527 billion it recorded as of end-June last year.

In the last six years since 2014, Pagcor consistently posted net income for the first semester. The oldest available record of Pagcor’s end-June statement of comprehensive income posted in its website was that of 2014.

Earlier, Pagcor said two POGOs—SC World Development Group Ltd., a unit of Macau’s gambling giant SunCity Group, and Don Tencess Asian Services Solutions Inc.—have signified their intention to exit the country, and officially asked for cancellation of their offshore gaming licenses.

Aside from them, 13 other service providers were also reported to have closed down their operations, and more will likely follow suit—supposedly due to stringent tax rules from the BIR and the impact of movement restrictions amid the Covid-19 pandemic.

Domingo has also since appealed to the government to allow the gradual reopening of casinos.

- Advertisement -

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More updates

SMART SOLUTIONS FOR SMARTER BUSINESS | Unleashing the fullest potential of Filipino enterprises

Cortex Enterprise Solutions was built to empower Filipino businesses to be on par with the digital...
- Advertisement -

More POGO workers seen to exit Subic

SUBIC BAY FREEPORT—As online gaming operations catering to the Chinese market suffer from the Covid-19 pandemic and regulatory issues in the country, the Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority (SBMA) said it expects a further decline in the number of Chinese nationals working in the Philippine Offshore Gaming Operation (POGO) industry here.

Senate moves to tighten Amla amid risks

THE Senate is on track to frontload passage of remedial legislation providing for a stronger Anti-Money Laundering Act (Amla) to beef up the financial sector’s defense amid the Corona Virus (Covid) contagion. This, as Sen. Grace Poe on Wednesday assured that the Senate Committee on Banks and Financial Institutions...

2021 LGU collection target to be cut 68% to P102.01 billion

THE Bureau of Local Government Finance (BLGF) is looking at slashing the total collection target of local government units (LGUs) next year to P102.01 billion, a 68-percent decline from the P321.6-billion original target it set for the same period before the Covid-19 pandemic. Should this be realized, BLGF Executive...

More funds sought for housing for ISFs

THE Department of Human Settlements and Urban Development (DHSUD) is seeking additional funds to build more houses for informal settler families (ISFs) and those in need of low-cost housing units given the importance of having one’s own shelter particularly during pandemics. In a presentation at the Senate Finance Subcommittee...
- Advertisement -

More updates

More POGO workers seen to exit Subic

SUBIC BAY FREEPORT—As online gaming operations catering to the Chinese market suffer from the Covid-19 pandemic and...

In case you missed it