PPE stockpile for frontliners now at 600,000 – Galvez

More from author

OFW deployment to Saudi seen to increase as KSA eases labor processing

MORE new overseas Filipino workers (OFW) will soon be deployed in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) with...

‘Only 86 of 17,000 families were able to return to Marawi’

Two years after the start of its rehabilitation, Marawi City still remains a ghost town as most...

Preparations for Barmm’s 1st region-wide polls under way

Preparations for the first ever region-wide elections in 2022 in the newly created Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in...

THE government on Tuesday reported the arrival of an additional 250,000 personal protective equipment (PPE) now ready for distribution to frontliners in the campaign against the novel coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19).  

In a videorecorded news briefing, chief implementer of the government’s national policy on Covid-19 Carlito Galvez said the additional PPEs recently arrived at a local port, bringing their reserve supply of PPEs to over 600,000.  

Of the said PPE sets, 230,000 are in the General Headquarters Warehouse in Camp Aguinaldo, while the remaining 20,000 are in a warehouse in Davao.  

Galvez said once their expected additional PPE shipments arrive this month, they will be able to “stabilize” their PPE supplies. 

Currently, the government is waiting for the arrival of 3 million PPE sets it procured for the months of June up to August. 

He said the sufficient supply of PPEs will help minimize the exposure of government frontliners to Covid-19 infection, amid criticism that failure to protect them had left the country with a high ratio of infected health workers versus the total number of Covid-19 patients.  

“Since we started distributing PPEs, no doctor was reported to have died (from Covid-19) since May. I would like to report we were able to preserve our frontliners [as part of our compliance] with your guidance to us to preserve [the lives] of our doctors and our medical personnel,” said Galvez, when he reported to President Duterte on Tuesday.  

Currently, the government has already distributed 1,033,000 PPEs to 699 hospitals nationwide. Of the beneficiary hospitals, most, or 389, are in Luzon. The remaining PPEs were distributed in hospitals in Mindanao (225) and Visayas (85).   

Galvez earlier reported they are now in the process of acquiring 11 million medical-grade PPE sets by 2021 to ensure a stockpile of the items, which have become valuable worldwide due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. 

He said the government has allocated P20 billion for the initiative. 

- Advertisement -

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More updates

SMART SOLUTIONS FOR SMARTER BUSINESS | Unleashing the fullest potential of Filipino enterprises

Cortex Enterprise Solutions was built to empower Filipino businesses to be on par with the digital...
- Advertisement -

Petron eyes refinery closure on tax woes

VERY soon, the Philippines could be fully dependent on oil imports as the country’s remaining oil refiner announced Monday the strong possibility of shutting down its Bataan refinery, which supplied less than 30 percent of the country’s total demand last year. Petron Corporation, according to its chairman Ramon S....

Pandemic shows up gaps in GDP metrics in region–Apec unit

THE pandemic has exposed gnawing gaps in the computation of GDP that would require countries in the Asia and the Pacific region to look beyond it, according to the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) Policy Support Unit (PSU). In a statement, Apec PSU Director Denis Hew said GDP had “blindspots”...

PHL jumps 2 rungs in Asia Pacific economies’ trade poll

THE Philippines has jumped two notches to place eighth among 20 economies in Asia and the Pacific in a survey measuring the capacity to participate in international trade. The country scored 55.9, from 53.8 in 2018, out of 100 in the Hinrich Foundation’s Sustainable Trade Index 2020. As such,...

Palace gives DBM leeway to release Bayanihan 2 funds

THERE will soon be fewer delays in the release of funds under the Bayanihan to Recover as One Law (Bayanihan 2). This after President Duterte delegated the authority of releasing the funds to the Department of Budget and Management (DBM). Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said Budget Secretary...
- Advertisement -

More updates

Petron eyes refinery closure on tax woes

VERY soon, the Philippines could be fully dependent on oil imports as the country’s remaining oil refiner...

In case you missed it