Duterte okays total OFW deployment ban to Kuwait

- Advertisement -

More from author

IATF eyes ‘new normal’ guidelines for areas with no Covid cases

The Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) is now crafting guidelines for areas that may be placed...

U.K.-bound OFWs must show Covid-free status

FOREIGN travelers, including overseas Filipino workers (OFW), must now be tested for Covid-19 before they can enter the United...

BSP, National Quincentennial Committee launch Lapu-Lapu Banknote and Medal

THE Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas launched on Monday the 5000-Piso LapuLapu Commemorative Banknote and Medal to kickoff the 99-day...

Military dismantles 3 NPA guerrilla fronts in Calabarzon

Members of the New People’s Army operating in Southern Tagalog have lost three guerrilla fronts amid the military’s intensified...

BI bars departure of 12,000 travelers in 2020 in drive vs human trafficking

CLOSE to 12,000 Filipino travelers were prevented from leaving the country last year as part of the Bureau of...

Belmonte urges Arayat, Pampanga LGU to lift entry restriction on QC residents

Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte on Monday strongly denounced the Arayat, Pampanga local government’s decision to restrict the entry...

Saving lives

Flight attendant Christine Dacera’s untimely death bears painful evidence of the country’s lack of emergency medical services and the...

President Duterte has given the green light to the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) to impose a total deployment ban of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) to Kuwait, Malacañang announced on Friday.

In a news statement, Presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo said Filipinos are now officially barred from seeking jobs in the Gulf state, following the killing of Filipino domestic worker Jeanelyn Padernal Villavende.

“The Palace wishes to inform the public that President Rodrigo Roa Duterte has approved the recommendation of Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III on the total deployment ban of Filipino workers in Kuwait. The ban includes skilled workers,” Panelo said.

The announcement came after Duterte recently announced that he was not keen on ordering the repatriation of Filipino workers from Kuwait.

In an exclusive interview with ABS-CBN aired last week, the President said he has no plan to pull out Filipinos working in the Gulf state because he was satisfied with the Kuwaiti government’s swift response to Villavende’s case.

Panelo also issued the statement after the DOLE sought the total ban on the deployment of OFWs to Kuwait in the wake of Villavende’s murder and the Arab state’s supposed attempt to cover up the case.

Results of the National Bureau of Investigation’s (NBI) examination of Villavende’s remains showed signs of sexual abuse on the victim. There were also “old healed wounds” which indicate that Villavende had been battered weeks prior to her killing.

Panelo said it seemed that the Kuwaiti government is trying to conceal the truth.

“The result of the re-autopsy conducted by the NBI indicates that overseas Filipino worker Jeanelyn Villavende was sexually abused and sodomized,” he said.

“The Kuwaiti government was attempting to hide the said circumstance when it gave us a general autopsy report that the cause of death was trauma and bruises all over her body,” he added.

Panelo said the total deployment ban would not be lifted unless Kuwait honors the 2018 labor deal with the Philippines.

He was referring to the memorandum of agreement on the protection of OFWs in the Arab country signed by the two countries on May 11, 2018.

“PRRD [President Rodrigo Roa Duterte) is for a total ban until the memorandum of agreement between the two countries is fully implemented and the terms contained therein are incorporated in every labor contract with our OFWs,” he said.

The labor pact between the Philippines and Kuwait was seen as a solution to end the persistent human-rights violations committed by Kuwaiti employers against their Filipino workers. PNA

Image credits: Robinson Ninal Jr./ Malacanang Presidential Photographers Division via AP



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

- Advertisement -

More updates

SMART SOLUTIONS FOR SMARTER BUSINESS | Unleashing the fullest potential of Filipino enterprises

Cortex Enterprise Solutions was built to empower Filipino businesses to be on par with the digital transformation of enterprises...
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

More updates

NEDA bats for kids going out more to hasten recovery

CONTINUING to impose mobility restrictions on children affects the economy’s ability to recover from the pandemic, according to the...
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

In case you missed it

- Advertisement -