The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) on Friday said overseas Filipino workers (OFW) in Hong Kong are now safer as political tensions there have eased.
Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said DOLE’s labor attaché in Hong Kong reported that conditions there have stabilized and there were also no other Filipinos who were affected by the protests.
Earlier this month, DOLE reported an OFW was detained in Hong Kong after being mistaken as one of the protesters. He was released after posting bail.
Despite recent developments, Balanga Bishop Ruperto Santos said OFWs in Hong Kong still limit their movement, although this does not stop them from hearing mass, as per reports of a Filipino priest in Hong Kong, Father Jay Flanders.
“There are still normal Holy Masses schedules and many more are coming especially in the morning. Even if the MTR (metro transits) is suspended in the afternoon our OFWs come for Holy Masses,” Santos said.
“This only shows their strong faith in God that in those trying and difficult times our OFWs still fulfill their Sunday obligations, trust Him and place their hope in God,” he added.
Image credits: AP/Vincent Yu