The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) on Thursday vowed to seek justice for another overseas Filipino worker (OFW) who died a brutal death at the hands of her employer in Kuwait.
In a statement, Labor and Employment Secretary Silvestre H. Bello III said he will call the attention of the Kuwaiti government for the death of 47-year old Contancia Lago Dayag.
“I am taking the Kuwaiti Government to task for the gruesome death of yet another Filipino in the hands of her employer in Kuwait,” Bello said. “Aside from the apparent violation of agreement on the protection of OFWs between our government and Kuwait, there appears to have been a breach of the employment contract by the foreign employer.”
Dayag was brought to the Al Sabah Hospital in Kuwait earlier this week after suffering various contusions and hematoma, with a “cucumber” inside her private part.
The native from Agadanan, Isabela, however, was declared dead on arrival.
Bello said the fate of Dayag was “utterly condemnable.”
“We extend our sympathies to the family and we shall do everything in to find justice for her death,” Bello said.
To recall, the government imposed a deployment ban in Kuwait last year after the reported recovery of the remains of the Filipino HSW Joanna Demafelis at the freezer of her employer in Kuwait.
The deployment ban was only lifted the ban months later after the new Philippine-Kuwait Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was signed last year, which intensified the welfare protection of Filipino HSW in Kuwait.