IF you’re a morena, it’s likely that you’ve struggled with finding a blush that would suit your complexion. Blush is actually trickier than lipstick or eyeshadow.
According to the “rules,” women with darker skin tones look best in deep fuchsia, berry, warm brown, raisin and tangerine shades.
Those with medium skin, on the other hand, would look good in rich pink, warm mauve and deep peach-blush shades.
But, as they say, rules are meant to be broken. When I bought my first blush at MAC Cosmetics, the makeup artist at the store suggested Mocha, which isn’t a mocha but a soft plum. I still love MAC Mocha and I always have a pan in my stash because it is an easy color to wear. For reference, I’m an NC 42 in MAC. My skin tone is warm.
Here are more blushes that would look great on morena skin:
- Clarins Blush Prodige in Miami Pink. The compact contains a matte rose and an iridescent petal pink. It’s very difficult to find a pink blush that looks good on my skin tone. This is one of those that do. It gives a natural-looking flush. I received this as a gift from a friend but Rustan’s has started carrying Clarins makeup again so, hopefully, this is part of their offerings.
- Burberry Lip and Cheek Bloom in Poppy. This comes in a luxurious square glass jar with a plastic cap embossed with the iconic Burberry check. This is a cream-to-powder that’s also mousse-like. I love the texture. I like this better than lip and cheek tints because these tints don’t seem to color my cheeks (I think this is the thing with morena skin). The Burberry Lip and Cheek Bloom in Poppy is a bright red that looks very natural on the skin. Available at sephora.ph.
- Bourjois Healthy Mix Blush. This medium coral is an extension of Bourjois iconic line of Healthy Mix foundations. It’s a universally flattering powder blush that comes in a tiny pot that’s very handy for your purse. My friend bought this from Boots in Thailand.
- Pink Sugar Sweet Cheeks HD Blush Summer Nights. Pink Sugar is a Filipino brand known for its high quality and reasonably priced products. Their Sweet Cheeks HD Blush has a selection of colors for every skin tone. Summer Nights is a warm peach. You can get Pink Sugar from The SM Store and beautymnl.com.
- Benefit Box ‘O Powder Blush in Rockateur. This rose gold from Benefit Cosmetics comes in a beautiful box with a brush that looks like it won’t work but somehow does. Once the embossed part at the top is gone, you’re left with a very wearable reddish-pink color. I love how this blush literally smells like flowers. Available at Benefit boutiques and counters.
- NARS The Multiple in Maui. This is a cool-toned dusty rose that somehow works on morena I’ve been leaning toward cream blushes lately and this works very well. Maui is a bit sheer so you can layer it depending on how much color looks good on your skin.
- Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Luminous Blush in Tigerlily. This is a frosted warm orange that’s very pigmented like all Becca bronzers, highlighters and blushes. Available at sephora.com.
- Fenty Beauty Match Stix Shimmer in Chili Mango. This magnetized makeup stick is part of Rihanna’s makeup line. I don’t own this but I swatched it when I was in Singapore. It’s an intense pearlized warm orange. It lasted around seven hours on me while I was at Universal Studios in Singapore so that means this is long-lasting. As you know, the weather in Singapore is hot and humid. Available at sephora.ph.